WE’RE HERE TO HELP
Most people undergoing fertility treatment experience a range of emotions including frustration, sadness, guilt and envy. The feelings can be quite intense and may lead to a sense of lack of control in your life and even isolation. They can put a strain on relationships with partners, friends, whānau, and colleagues. Our highly experienced Counselling team are here to be with you in your individual fertility journey and be a reflective, listening ear when you need it. The confidential counselling and support services are available to everyone at Repromed while you are trying to create and complete your family.
Fertility uncertainty and treatment is usually very challenging emotionally as well as physically. There are many different losses to deal with when you experience fertility uncertainty, which may not be obvious to others, and it can be difficult at times for many people to find the understanding and support they need as individuals and couples. Caring for your emotional and physical well being is really important. Talking things through with a counsellor doesn’t mean you aren’t coping – it’s an important part of your self care and treatment. When you talk to one of our counsellors you know the conversation is confidential, you will have someone really listening to you without giving ‘advice’, and you can be completely honest about how you are feeling knowing that the counsellor understands the issues and treatments.
We believe that understanding your feelings can help during treatment and in fact, at any stage in your fertility journey. Our experienced counsellors can discuss matters such as:
- Preparing for treatments, exploring options, implications, and coping strategies
- Providing support to cope with pregnancy loss and unsuccessful treatments
- Supporting you during decision-making regarding treatments
- Implications counselling for donor arrangements. An essential process for all parties involved which includes a discussion on the legal framework for donations in New Zealand
- Undertaking applications to The Ethics Committee on Assisted Reproductive Technology (ECART) for ethics approval for clinic assisted treatments such as surrogacy and embryo donation if required
- Support during difficult times when dealing with the emotional impact of infertility
Our counsellors can help you to understand how you are feeling and why. They can also offer strategies for managing your fertility experience, and practical resources such as books, articles, and support group information. Counselling is available to all Repromed clients and initial sessions are included in most treatment packages of care, so ask your nurse what you are eligible for.
Contact our reception team here
to make an appointment. We encourage you to access this service as an important part of your self-care. Whānau involvement in the counselling process is welcomed.