Sperm donation involves using frozen semen from a donor who has been screened and worked through the process of becoming a donor. The sperm may be used in IVF or intrauterine insemination treatments (IUI). This process is referred to as Donor Insemination or DI treatment at our clinic.
Considering to donate sperm is an incredible gift you can give. It’s not a decision that can be taken lightly, and this overview will give you an understanding of the criteria and what is involved.
The first thing to note is that donating must be altruistic – driven from a need of wanting to help others. While your costs are covered, there is no payment for your good deed. But what a wonderful contribution you can make – it is truly life changing for another person or couple, and they will forever be grateful for your help.
Who is suitable
There IS such thing as a perfect sperm donor. Here is the list of what we’re looking for. Could this be you?
- Between 20 – 45 years old
- NZ Citizen or NZ Permanent Resident
- You look after yourself – not into smoking, binge drinking or drugs
- You’re healthy – not affected by an illness, disease or genetic condition that poses an unacceptable risk of being passed on to a child conceived
- You’re a genuine, nice person who is comfortable that you may be contacted by a child or children conceived. They can request your information after they’re 18 years. You have no legal or financial responsibilities for any donor conceived children.
- It is not legal in NZ to offer financial payment for your donation
- However you’ll receive a $50 Prezzy Card for each visit / donation to cover any expenses
What is involved
- Semen analysis
- Doctor consultation
- Counselling sessions
- Completing consent forms
- Sperm banking
- Blood tests
Note that it requires travel to our Remuera clinic in Auckland.
If you’re interested, we’d love to hear from you! It’s not a quick process because of it’s importance – the ambitious goal is creating life. We have a shortage of sperm donors and you will be providing hope for someone desperately keen to have a family.
If you fit the criteria and are interested in donating sperm at Repromed read our Sperm Donor Leaflet and call 0800 483 105 or email to sign up.