Did you know that what you eat can impact your fertility as well as shape the future health of your baby? Lifestyle factors like nutrition, physical activity, stress and weight impact both male and female fertility. However, unlike age or medical conditions which are often out of our control, these lifestyle factors are things we have the power to change. Often small adjustments to your diet can positively impact the chance of conceiving. Getting your diet in balance is an important first step of enhancing your fertility health.
Scientific evidence shows that optimising diet pre-conception can help:
- Improve egg and sperm health
- Increase the chance of becoming pregnant
- Regulate ovulation cycles affected by weight and insulin resistance
- Reduce inflammation and oxidative stress
- Improve the success of fertility treatment (Assisted Reproductive Therapies)
- Prepare your body for a healthy pregnancy
- Influence genetic programming to benefit the baby’s long-term health
In addition, for women with health conditions like endometriosis, coeliac disease or polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), nutrition can impact their symptoms, overall health and fertility.
Repromed are pleased to offer the expertise and support of our fertility Dietitian Teresa Gudex. Discussing your personal situation with a qualified Dietitian and Nutritionist can help you:
- Improve your fertility whether you are having fertility treatment or not
- Feel confident you are making the right food choices
- Fit nutrition recommendations into your life and circumstances
- Manage nutrition related conditions that may impact your fertility such as Coeliac Disease, PCOS or endometriosis
- Correct nutrient deficiencies
- Ensure you are taking the correct nutritional supplements for your needs
- Meet your requirements on a restricted diet e.g. vegetarian/vegan diet or food intolerances
Repromed’s Dietitian Teresa can provide advice that is achievable, backed up by science and highly personalised. See the latest Repromed Treatment Costs for consultation rates or email for more information and to book a consultation with Teresa.
Teresa Gudex Dietitian and Nutritionist Bachelor of Science (BSc), Master of Dietetics (MDiet), New Zealand Registered Dietitian (NZRD)
What we eat can affect our fertility, success of fertility treatment and the health of a pregnancy. However, nutrition can be a confusing topic and sometimes an unnecessary source of stress along the road to parenthood. Teresa’s role is to take the confusion away by translating the latest science into a personalised nutrition plan. She supports clients by providing evidence-based nutrition treatment specialised in optimisation of fertility and fertility treatment, pregnancy, the postpartum period and health conditions.
Since finishing her training at Otago University in 2014 Teresa has worked in hospitals in Hawkes Bay, Auckland and Ireland in a range of positions with adults and children. Her main area of interest is the critical importance of nutrition in the peri conception period and early years of a child’s life. She is also passionate about supporting clients pre-conception to make dietary changes that are backed up by science and achieve results with the least amount of restriction possible.
In my spare time I enjoy cooking (surprise, surprise for a dietitian I know!), trying out new restaurants and finding creative ways to get my new husband to eat his vegetables.